A diameter ≤3 cm and an unenhanced CT value >20 Hu were independent factors of incorrect diagnosis of chest CT. VATS is a reliable approach for the surgical resection of thymic cysts.
Local resection is adequate for simple thymic cysts. However, thymectomy is necessary when there is suspicion of a thymoma or multilocular thymic cyst, and radical thymectomy is advisable for patients with autoimmune diseases.
Most surgeons advocate early surgical resection because complications, such as aggravation or rupture of the cysts, malignant transformation or compression of the surrounding organs in the mediastinum, can arise in some patients.
If a malignant tumor or thymoma cannot be excluded according to the preoperative imaging examination and intraoperative exploration, then a thymectomy should be performed and suspicious residual lesions should be resected.
- ICU Stay: 1 day
- HOSPITAL Stay: 4-5 days
- TOTAL Stay in TURKEY (range in DAYS*; unless any other complications!): 12- 14 Days
- Consultations – (Preop – *(Only Anesthesia and Chest Diseases are preoperatively included in the total charges!): Anesthesia and Chest Disease (if needed)*
- Blood Tests: Yes (Hemogram, Serology, Biochemistry, Blood type)
- Chest X-Ray: Yes
- Abdominal X-Ray: If needed!
- PFT (Pulmonary Function Test): Yes – *(Not-included in the total charges!)
- V/Q Scan (Lung Ventilation / Perfusion Scan): Not routine! (If needed)* *(Not included in the total charges!)
- Chest and/or Abdominal CT Scan – *(If the patient have the CT scans already done, then no need to take additional CT scans preop): Yes – Preop evaluation (* Not included in the total charges)!
- PET / CT Scan (Positron Emisson Tomography): Yes – Preop evaluation (* Not included in the total charges)!
- MRI (Chest, Abdomen and/or Brain) – *(If the patient have the MRI already done, then no need to take additional MRI preop): If needed! (*Not included in the total charges!)
- Bone Scan: Not routine – If needed!* – Preop evaluation (* Not included in the total charges)
- USG / Ultrasonography (Chest, Abdomen, and/or others): Not routine – If needed!* – Preop and/or Postop evaluation (* Not included in the total charges)
- General Anesthesia: Yes
- Local/Regional Anesthesia: No
- Local Anesthesia + Sedation: No
- Spinal / Epidural Anesthesia: Not routine!; *If needed!
- PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia; Epidural or IV route!): Not routine! – *If needed for Postop Analgesia! – *(Not included in the total charges!)
- HOSPITAL STAY after the ICU period, if ever: 4-5 days
- STAY AT HOTEL after being discharged from Hospital – *’Wound Dressing’ everyday till the Control Day!: 7-8 Days
- First CONTROL Day! – *Get the Stitches removed, If ever!: 7th Day after being discharged to HOTEL!; *Take the Stitches out!; if ever.
- Discharged to HOME – *Take your prescription – DO NOT FORGET! – Patient generally could have “a safe flight to home” after the FIRST CONTROL!: 7th-8th Postop Day (After being discharged to HOTEL)!
- After – Surgery ( 3rd to 4th Weeks) – Needs CONSULTATIONS by “Medical AND Radiation Oncology Clinics”: Yes
- Late – CONTROLS (1st -3rd – 6th – 12th -24th months in concordance with “the Medical & Radiation Oncology Departments Followups”)!: Yes – If the pathology report shows “a malignant and/or suspicious thymic nodule or mass”! – CONSULT YOUR SURGEON!